1. Going fast is important. The faster a car goes the faster it is.
2. In 1911 Ray Harroun won the first Indianapolis 500 in a car dubbed the Marmon Wasp. The car was known as such not for being yellow but because Harroun was allergic to bees and died on lap 197 after being stung.
3. The winning driver is given a plate of tenderloins and challenged to eat as many as is possible before passing out.
4. Indianapolis Motor Speedway was originally a figure 8 track but after several dozen deaths was made an oval to silence the cowards.
5. Only three people have won the Indianapolis 500 four times, but Marco Andretti has won five times in his own mind.
6. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is so huge it can fit the Rose Bowl, Vatican City, Yankee Stadium, and Graham Rahal’s ego inside the grounds.
7. Originally the track was comprised of millions of bricks made at local brick foundries, but now the surface is made from the tears of people who still post online about CART.
8. Danica Patrick was the first woman to win the race in 2005.